Sword of the Wolf Forum Index

Sword of the Wolf Forum Index » Public Forum» How Shifter should be Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Fox
Private First Class

lol i'll talk to Mut tonight. I'm sure he can recall some interesting stories about games vs you and him.

Stay tuned, this thread is about to get interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
outrigger
Sergeant

teco

shifter was a mod for T1. If you ask me...for T2 it never happened. T2 never happened. If you ask me.

anyhow shifter brought a whole new level of "chess" type play to tribes. Light armor was split 3 ways. Scout, Chemeleon, and .....something else? maybe it was just 2.

Medium had Engineer, Mercenary, and Arbitor

Heavy was Dread and Jugg

each had specific weapons that only that armor could use along with the typical stuff.

for example.

the scout had a special abitlity to use a "styme" that would ram its energy levels to max for a certain about of time. Could only carry 2 weapons but had a grenade that did little damage but would blast those in its radius very far away. Good to keep NMEs away from a loose flag or to get a fast start towards a goal on the other side of a map.

ect ect ect...

anyhow what made shifter great is that it was like paper, rock, scissors. Soemthing coudl be beaten by something else somewhere down the line. There was no king of armors. or king of weapons.....someone could kill you and a defense could actually be used to keep people literally out of your base if your guys were good enough farmers.

lots of different turrets that had characteristics similar to the weapons. lazer turret was very much like a sniper rifle.(laser rifle)

ect ect...great mod.....I played that game well into the GeForce 3 era

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Fumigator
Lieutenant General

lol, yes, it should be good considering muti and i didn't play the game at the same time.

fum leaves game, muti enters game... fum comes back to game 1 year later, does not lose a step, beats up on everyone with ease... sees nuke turret, uninstalls.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
outrigger
Sergeant

sees nuke turret, uninstalls.

classic! ROF!!!

thats great stuff!

Fox.....give man just give.....I got a calf rope...you want it?

U-N-C-L-E

sayit! sayit! SAYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:44 pm Reply with quote
ronteco
Private First Class

thanks rig. that sounds pretty cool. when will one of you make that for TV? get er done!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:56 am Reply with quote
outrigger
Sergeant

teek...if I had the know-how i'td be done already....

i've got a sememster and a half of c++ from 1997.....thats about all i'm good for. that adds up to about nil!

one naught + another naught = ahhhh forget it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Fox
Private First Class

Naw talked to Mut. he said when you 2 played you would stay away from eachother because the battles would last till you both ran out of ammo.

Nope I will not give.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Kamikaze Ferret
Private

QUOTE (outrigger @ Dec 29 2004, 04:34 PM)
teco

shifter was a mod for T1.  If you ask me...for T2 it never happened.  T2 never happened.  If you ask me.

anyhow shifter brought a whole new level of "chess" type play to tribes.  Light armor was split 3 ways.  Scout, Chemeleon, and .....something else?  maybe it was just 2.

Medium had Engineer, Mercenary, and Arbitor

Heavy was Dread and Jugg

each had specific weapons that only that armor could use along with the typical stuff.

Outrigger,

Its the assassin armor that was the 3rd light armor in T1 shifter. The only one that could get the Sniper Rifle that used bullets.

God I can still remember my brother's and mine dreadnought armor setup, 800 rounds of vulcane chaingun ammo. usualy die before even geting half way through the ammo.

The sniper rifle in Shifter for T2 sucked big time, it nearly the same cone of fire as the chaingun, so you'd take a shot and it go way off to the left.

Last edited by Kamikaze Ferret on Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

<span style='color:red'>Day of Defeat spray.</span>
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Fumigator
Lieutenant General

QUOTE (Fox @ Dec 30 2004, 12:14 PM)
Naw talked to Mut. he said when you 2 played you would stay away from eachother because the battles would last till you both ran out of ammo.

Nope I will not give.

lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
|CO|Kapeket
Private

I am all about your changes, however:

Merc - Proximity beacons - Explodes with fragments within like 8 meters or so...

You just removed teams like ours from interest. We were the ONLY team to ever play in the SBA who did not have a scout capper as our primary capper.

TheUnknown, my son, was seriously, the top Merc capper perhaps ever, but in his time for sure.

For whatever reason, we didn't have consistent scout capping. Kou and Darkshot were scouts but Dark was normally relegated to defensive needs and Kou came late to us so we never got on that bandwagon.

Amazingly, we played two Finals matches and if not for PorT, we would not have had a scout capper at all LOL.

Perhaps that is why we lost both 1-0, including the one against x_x| in OT at the 58 minute mark.. in fact, they returned their flag because our lone scout DID get caught

In any case, you guys hit it on the head.. less IS more when it came to Shifter.

Last edited by |CO|Kapeket on Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Fumigator
Lieutenant General

yeah i saw that merc beacon thing and thought, "wtf is that about?!"... merc boost is where it's at.

that is all.

Last edited by Fumigator on Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Stigmartyr
Private

Indeed the energy levels are sufficient.

For me the main theme of Shifter was the deployables and weapon options.

I do not intend to see Vortex Mortars unless a deployable base becomes too difficult to destroy for example... Ill try to see to it that its not neccessary - we should be able to apply a heater-gun style weapon instead.

Frag mortars and MDMs are a hallmark. MDM's have already been modded.. frag mortars will simply be a cluster of frag grenades, as always.

Our main focus in modding shifter will be geared towards deployables, packs and armors. I would like to see a counterpart to the shrike (albeit without booster modules) to replace the all but useless POD.

Packs that I am supportive of Morph Pack, Jammer, Telepack & cloak. With morph pack it is a debate over whether it should be exhaustable (meaning once used its gone; you will have to purchase another). With the way the energy pack already works, I see no need for a booster pack. Besides, it took us years to admit it helped to ruin game-play.

Does anyone object to the chem laptop? Also the engineer repair gun w/ hack mode is something I would like to add as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Enforcer
Master Sergeant

Wasn't one of the bugs with the Chem laptop that you could see the other teams internal messages? Can we make sure that isn't part of it?

Just curious, are laser mines for dread/jugg going to be there?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Fumigator
Lieutenant General

I do not intend to see Vortex Mortars unless a deployable base becomes too difficult to destroy for example... Ill try to see to it that its not neccessary - we should be able to apply a heater-gun style weapon instead.

The only way a base becomes "too difficult" to destroy is if the coders code it that way... so it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophesy. don't code in too much and we won't have the problem. Vortex and other double mortars are a deal breaker... least for me.

Packs that I am supportive of Morph Pack, Jammer, Telepack & cloak

whoops... i nodded after morph pack... which is also a deal breaker.

With the way the energy pack already works, I see no need for a booster pack. Besides, it took us years to admit it helped to ruin game-play.
odd that the morph pack is not included in this assessment of ruined game play... especially since the booster pack survived just fine throughout t1 shifter... which cannot be said for the morph... which is simply hated by everyone who ever loved t1. seems this is backwards... the booster should be in and the morph should be ditched. or of course, we could wait and realize this simple truth in another couple years?

Does anyone object to the chem laptop? Also the engineer repair gun w/ hack mode is something I would like to add as well.

yes, we don't need ultra frilly borderline ghey stuff right off the bat. that kinda crap will turn ppl off. nobody wants to learn the game and have some asshat running around hacking every turret in sight. if you can get it to work correctly, which was never accomplished in t2, then maybe... but way down the road sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
reVain
Private

Make the rail rate of fire the same as the disc speed in T:V and make it 1 shot kill, always loved it that way since back in Tribes, I played Annihilation 1.31 mod as well as Base.

<a href='http://photobucket.com/albums/v317/revain/' target='_blank'>My Work</a>
Clan: -|SD|-
Sword of the Wolf Forum Index » Public Forum » How Shifter should be