Sword of the Wolf Forum Index

Sword of the Wolf Forum Index » Public Forum» Stuff about BF2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Topgun441
Private

What is Battlefield 2?
Battlefield 2 is the sequel to the popular Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam games. Unlike the previous games, Battlefield 2 is set in the modern era, with a full arsenal of modern weapons and vehicles to choose from. To Find out more about the game, click here.

When is Battlefield 2 going to be released?
The current release date is set for the end of March 2005.

What's new in Battlefield 2?
Basically everything in Battlefield 2 will be new, although the features that stand out the most will probably be things such as dynamic lighting effects, high detail multi-texturing processes, greater ambient physics modeling, material penetration properties, normal mapping, ragdoll physics, and much more, to find a complete list of features, click here.

What is the Battlefield demo recorder?
The in game recorder is a new feature which allows you to record your game and then replay it from any angle, rewind, pause, etc. A useful tool for capturing your greatest kills, funny moments, or even cheaters. The demos can be watched in game or be rendered out to AVI as a stand alone file.

What is Battlefield TV?
The ability to broadcast live games to the internet. This feature will not be in the game when it reaches stores, but may appear in a patch later on.

What is commander mode?
The Commander can gather more information about the enemy forces and then order squads to different locations with specific orders to outsmart the other team. Then it's up to the squad leader to accept or reject the order. Additional to this, the Commander will have additional tools to help his/her team towards victory. The commander is not a player on the field, he is more of an entity controlling and supervising what happens on the battlefield. He has a top down view of the map and he can call in artillery, drop ammo crates and set waypoint for his players. As long as your teams radar stations are intact he can see everything on the map. Artillery is being balanced with a long reload time, so, the commander will have to choose his targets wisely . The only way to stop him therefore is to take out the radar stations and the artillery.
There is also a server option to turn commander mode off if it is not required.

What is this online ranking system?
The ranking system allows for new weapons and other features to be unlocked as your progress upward in the ranks. You can move up the ranks by getting kills, healing, repairing, giving ammo etc. Everything you do in the game on a ranked server is tracked and stored in a stats database. Depending on how good you are you will increase in rank over time. All kinds of stats are saved in the database to be able to put interesting leader boards on the web, like top scorer, best newbie and even who's driven over most people.
All of your scores are stored along with your profile at the EA servers.

Who is making Battlefield 2?
Dice Sweden are the developers for Battlefield 2. Also, Trauma Studios has involvement with the prototyping of Battlefield 2 (creators of the famous Battlefield 1942 mod - Desert Combat)

Will there be a Battlefield 2 Demo?
A Battlefield 2 Demo is planned to be released before the game.

What level of destruction will the game have?
Battlefield 2 will include its own physics engine. Also ragdoll physics for player models. All of these features will allow a lot more destruction of objects compared to the previous Battlefield games. You cannot blow up buildings, roads etc. The only things that can be ?deformed? are objects that are part of the game play like bridges, radars etc which will be of great strategic use.

Will the Single player in Battlefield 2 be improved?
The SP will be similar, although the AI will be reworked for better gameplay and make it seem like your actually playing with other players.

What is the maximum players you can have in Multiplayer?
DICE is currently trying to make 64 player servers the RECOMMENDED number, although we should still see servers up to 100 players.

What armies will we see in Battlefield 2?
There are 3 armies planned to ship with Battlefield 2: United States Marine Corps, A Fictional Middle Eastern army, and the Chinese forces.

What is Voice over IP?
DICE has implemented Voice over IP in the game, so there's no need for third party software for communications anymore. The Voice com follows the chain of command: Squad leaders can communicate with other squad leaders and with the commander. The average grunt will only hear his own squad.

What is the squad system?
Each side can have their team broken down into squads. A Squad leader can give order too his squad or request orders from the Commander.
As a player you can see little arrows telling you where the rest of your squad is and so on. Your buddies also show up on the mini-map. The Squad system should improve gaming on public servers, making it easier to cooperate with other players.

What is the point system like?
To make it a bit more worth while to play as a support, medic or engineer character you now score points for a lot of actions. You get points for healing, for supplying ammo, repairing etc. In fact the points system has been totally revamped. If you do a lot of damage to an enemy but another player finish him off, you still get a point.

Do you need to be connected to an "official server" to gain ranks?
No, since to play online you always connect through EA with your own EA account, you gain ranks on any servers in which have the ranks turned on. Your server has the ability to turn off stats if they wish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Topgun441
Private

I will have some of the system requirements for BF2 later on but they all aren't out yet and from what ive read they are pretty high standards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Fumigator
Lieutenant General

Who is making Battlefield 2?
Dice Sweden are the developers for Battlefield 2. Also, Trauma Studios has involvement with the prototyping of Battlefield 2 (creators of the famous Battlefield 1942 mod - Desert Combat)

..which is why i am not holding my breath. what a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
TheDireAvenger
Staff Sergeant

I'll tell you what a shame is... it would be a medic jumping up his ranks by grenading allies, then healing them just for points.... and I can just see tons of n00bs doing that crap too....

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Visit my Wall of Fame, a constantly growing accomplishment! </span></span></span><a href='http://thedireavenger.250free.com/SOWBFVKnifeKills.jpg' target='_blank'>Wall of Fame</a>
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Topgun441
Private

ya they have some worked to do in later patches and i don't like that u can only talk to ur squad members if ur not the squad leader and ppl won't follow orders so i think the squad thing accept for in clans its meaningless

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:38 am Reply with quote
Som-Of-Deez
Private

QUOTE (TheDireAvenger @ Mar 11 2005, 01:56 PM)
I'll tell you what a shame is... it would be a medic jumping up his ranks by grenading allies, then healing them just for points.... and I can just see tons of n00bs doing that crap too....

They have already thought of that.. from what I have read you lose 2 points for a tk and get 1 point for healing..

UFC Member - <a href='http://www.unitedfounderscoalition.com' target='_blank'>http://www.unitedfounderscoalition.com</a>
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
TheDireAvenger
Staff Sergeant

I don't mean kill them with the grenade, I mean just hurt them enough to get points for healing....

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Visit my Wall of Fame, a constantly growing accomplishment! </span></span></span><a href='http://thedireavenger.250free.com/SOWBFVKnifeKills.jpg' target='_blank'>Wall of Fame</a>
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Som-Of-Deez
Private

Ahh... well those are only ranking points which don't mean squat.. I could care less if someone is the highest ranked medic and if someone is doing that constantly while pubbing they will most likely be kicked or at least on our servers

BF42 guys should be some what happy considering the same team that created 42 are the ones creating BF2..

UFC Member - <a href='http://www.unitedfounderscoalition.com' target='_blank'>http://www.unitedfounderscoalition.com</a>
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
Stigmartyr
Private

I'm SOOOOO stoked.

Pre-ordered today. I'm still in shock over VU Games.

Boycott for life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
Fumigator
Lieutenant General

QUOTE (Som-Of-Deez @ Mar 13 2005, 11:48 AM)
BF42 guys should be some what happy considering the same team that created 42 are the ones creating BF2..

somewhat happy that dice sweden is a part of it... yes... but including trauma, bad move.

not sure what the outcome will be, but it doesn't auger well.

trauma has not demonstrated the ability to produce a balanced game... dice sweden has... for the most part, but the only thing trauma seems to be able to do to is include another imbalanced object to counter their last imbalanced object.. plus... if trauma has anything to do with bf2, it will most likely be another insta death game. a lesser cs source.

<--- not holding breath... and this time... he will return it if it's shit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Som-Of-Deez
Private

If you like BFV(which serves a better purpose as a coaster) then I will be surprised if you don't like BF2. I don't want to get my hopes up to high..but if I had to make a prediction based soley on video, screen shots and articles I have read it would be that this game is going to rock... but we all know what can happen..

Considering most 42, DC, BFV, POE, COD, AA, and even WOW players will be playing BF2, people who do not play it will be very lonely...

Last edited by Som-Of-Deez on Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hump
Colonel

We are playing both 42 and BFV, and I currently trying to find some DC action... I like them all (or aspects of them).

FYI dont forget they also hired the orginal DC creators on this project.

**HEARS FUMI'S DISGUST**

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Fumigator
Lieutenant General

perhaps it's a little pre-mature to suggest that "everyone" will be playing it? the same thing was said about bf:v. oh sure, a lot of guys may buy it, me included, but the potential for it to suck is huge given just EA/Dice working on it. (read: just look at bf:v). adding trauma just makes the suck factor increase exponentially. i fear it will just be another insta-death money grab by EA. (secret weapons anyone?)

Last edited by Fumigator on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Som-Of-Deez
Private

Very good points!

I can be very optimistic at times..

Just out of curiosity... Have you been following BF2 closely.. i.e. watching all the videos ( not just the ones EA released, which are all in game footage) reading articles etc..? One thing I have noticed is there was no where near this much information on BFV before it was released. I don't remember many in game clips coming out before the BFV was launched either.. So I guess that is why I have my hopes up about BF2.. I have seen too much to make myself believe it will be another BFV or Secret Weapons...

And about balance issues.. I will say that in a lot of EA interviews this seems to be the focus.. EA says that this was one of their major goals.. called it the paper, rock, scissors philosophy.. (or something to that effect)

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the last thing the original BF42 team worked on before BF2 was the Road to Rome expansion pack.. I do know they have been working on BF2 for a loooooong time.

Check out the latest Vid:

http://www.totalbf2.com/files/index.php?action=file&id=29

Last edited by Som-Of-Deez on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ragingbill
Staff Sergeant

HMMMMMMMMM

DC

that was a fun game
might have to dust it off